February 19, 2012

Svetlana Kuznetsov Set to attack

Svetlana Kuznetsova has been one of the most thriving players in the women's game over the past decade. Guy McCrea caught up with the two-time Grand Slam champion while this week's Andalucia Tennis sense event in Marbella...

Consider the first few months of 2011 and they were absolutely a case of what might have been for Svetlana Kuznetsova. The former world whole two did reach the final of the Wta Premier level event in Dubai and also took part in that Australian Open fourth round epic with Francesca Schiavone. At 4 hours and 44 minutes, it was the longest women's Grand Slam match in the Open era. But for person so used to winning, Kuznetsova felt frustrated so many close matches went against her, not least against Schiavone in Melbourne: 'A few points just didn't go my way. I was working hard and nearly every event I felt like I was playing well adequate to win the trophy. In Auckland, I was up a set and 5-3 against Peng Shuai. Then the Australian Open too - so many chances to win that match against Schiavone. But at least I was playing well, not like in 2010 when I felt I was far away from my best tennis a lot of the time.'

For Kuznetsova, the question isn't producing the tennis needed to beat the Wta's top-ranked players. It's more to do with some other things that are part and parcel of being a pro tennis player: 'I have been working hard and I still love my game and still feel like I have a lot to give to tennis. But I am struggling a bit more with the voyage and being away from home because I have been doing it all for a long time and I am getting older in tennis years now at 25. Take Indian Wells and Miami. I didn't do that well this year, but I think that was because it was the ninth year I was playing in those places and I just could not get excited and felt bored. I need to find something dissimilar to inspire me in future, that's for sure.'






If anything can retain Kuznetsova's interest, it is a return to Europe and the red clay that has brought her so much past success. Victory at the 2009 French Open was the Russian's second Grand Slam singles title - the highlight of a stellar clay court tear that year which also included a Wta Premier title in Stuttgart and a final in Rome. By comparison, Kuznetsova disappointed on the covering last season but she remains one of the few Wta players who appear to have a natural game for the dirt: 'Sam Stosur and Schiavone are very good but I don't think there are too many others who play a true clay court game. They're more playing hard court tennis on a clay court. For example, Victoria (Azarenka) or Caroline (Wozniacki), they do ok but don't de facto change their shots much for clay, say play shots higher over the net with more spin.

I don't think some players struggle because they're reasoning the wrong tactics. It is more that their game is just not great to clay. For example, if you look at Maria (Sharapova) she has tried to think a lot about how to play on clay. But her question is her shots are hard and flat, as my game is more natural for clay because I play with more spin. But I still need to keep working hard to improve.'

Fed Cup also remains a huge motivation for the patriotic Kuznetsova. She has helped Russia win the coveted trophy three times before but with a semi-final against Italy in Moscow advent up, Kuznetsova is hungry for more: 'We want revenge because last time we played them they kicked our butts in Italy! But now this time they will be without Flavia (Pennetta) and Francesca Schiavone. It still won't be easy but we are at home and have a strong team.'

No one doubts Kuznetsova's commitment to her country but the main area of uncertainty for many is if she can still be consistent adequate to deliver at the top level. Cue her typically honest response: 'People know I am unpredictable, this is clear, it depends on the day! If I have a good day, then I can beat anyone, but my question is being consistent. I dream of being as consistent as Caroline Wozniacki for the whole season, not just clay courts or whatever. If I had that I could achieve everything! If God could just give me two or three years of consistency like that for the whole season, then I could quit tennis very happy.'

She might not get her wish - but the reality is Kuznetsova remains one of the Wta's biggest stars and a hazardous opponent for anything in the clay court swing.

Svetlana Kuznetsov Set to attack

Homemade Chocolate Candy Recipes USB Cables And Connectors Calculate Loan to Value Ratio